Dana Harding, P.Eng.
|APEGGA - P.Eng.
|Phone: 403-668-1578 (ENUM)
|B.Sc Mechanical Engineering, University of Alberta
Design ~ Analysis ~ Project Management
Dedicated, decisive, and highly accomplished Mechanical Engineer with proven skills and experience as a "hands-on" independent contractor in the Oil and Gas industry. Motivational leader and active team contributor resolves difficult problems with a combined suite of experience, engineering fundamentals, and superior computer skills. Effective communicator that works with diverse individuals at every level; and develops trusting relationships through integrity, professional character, and industry expertise.
Uniquely qualified in the following areas:
|- Reciprocating Compressors
|- Design and Problem Solving
|- Vibration and Pulsation Analysis
|- Cost and Labour Savings
|- Field Troubleshooting
|- Static and Dynamic Analysis
|- Design Optimization
|- Pipe Stress Analysis
|- Process Review
Contract Mechanical Engineer
- Project Analysis, Coordination, and Management duties for more than 70 AP Dynamics Inc. projects, for clientele and owner/operators including:
|Penn West Energy Trust
|BP Canada Energy Co.
- Completed pulsation and pipe stress analysis for reciprocating compressor units.
- Built and refined 3D computer analysis models with client supplied documents such as P&ID, GA, equipment specification and performance sheets, and information gathered directly in the shop or field including photographs, linear measurements, and vibration measurement data.
- Models included peripheral equipment such as modular refrigeration and dehydration packages
- Solved models to meet client requirements and specified codes (API 618, ASME B31.3, CSA Z662)
- Presented analysis findings and recommendations in meetings and during conference calls with the client.
- Created new modeling approaches to overcome software limitations.
- Initiated one of the first company uses of external chokes for pulsation control.
- Investigated vibration issues, collected data and supervised the implementation of recommended work at gas plants, compressor stations, and pump installations in oil and gas service
- Recorded multi-channel vibration measurements using: CSI 2120 and CSI 2130 analyzers, and NI CompactDAQ equipment.
- Analyzed frequency spectra of measurements to determine the ODS and to isolate contributing factors of components vibrating excessively, such as mechanical or acoustic excitation.
- Prepared technical reports outlining the complete findings, and recommendations to fix all issues found.
- Inspected the implementation of structural and other recommendations in the shop and at field locations.
- Coordinated with the client during planning and implementing of the recommended work.
- Supervised teams including pipe fitters, welders, and mechanics in rectifying issues on field units.
- Identified components with a high risk of failure in vibrating service; and resolved issues in an immediate and proactive manner. Some typical issues were loose supports, air gaps in supports, soft foot in vessel and machinery feet, strain in sight/gauge glasses and other small geometry, piles not welded to skid, and open section structural members (wide flange beams) not gusseted where required.
- Worked with Operations to see a wide range of operating conditions during each vibration survey.
- Participated in safe work meetings before any work in the field commenced.
- Reviewed and inspected modifications to ensure compliance with design intent.
- Undertook a Management role with Junior Engineers
- Provided input on decisions to hire Junior Engineers
- Maintained direct oversight of several Junior Engineers, depending on any single project
- Trained and mentored the new members of the team, ensuring compliance with company procedures.
- Emphasized understanding the big picture: why components were selected, how they work together, and the impact of any recommendations on the unit or system.
- Built, deployed, and commissioned a multi-channel high speed data acquisition system to monitor a steam startup line at the MacKay River Cogeneration Plant (SAGD process)
- On short notice (two weeks), purchased components for a complete field kit then built, tested, and installed the data acquisition system.
- The equipment was successfully installed and tested one day ahead of schedule, with no significant snags.
- Implemented a wireless connection to allow remote monitoring and control of the system.
Selected Project Involvement and Accomplishments:
- Completed some significant AP Dynamics Inc. field project ‘firsts’, including:
- First vibration survey with company owned equipment, including short notice to familiarize myself with the new equipment before taking it to the field.
- First project involving direct oversight of a field crew implementing our recommendations
- First overseas vibration measurements in the Netherlands for Vermilion Energy Trust
- Revealed one calculation bug in the AutoPIPE stress analysis software while verifying a modeling approach with hand calculations. Information was submitted to vendor and fixed.
- Utilized VoIP Communications Technology to build and commission a PBX with enterprise class features.
- Compiled vibration measurements of a 7500hp reciprocating compressor at the Niska Gas Storage Countess facility, the largest single reciprocating compressor unit in Alberta at the time.
- Reduced 2-3 man-hours per field project by creating an application to interface with a proprietary database at the binary level, allowing more time for a higher quality analysis while increasing the technical content of each report.
- Reduced save and load time of a large Nastran (FEA) model from 30-60 seconds to 5-10 seconds by installing a striped disk array (RAID-0) – significantly reducing the analyst’s stress under a tight deadline.
- Modified an in-house structural program to be compliant with both NBC and ASCE 7-02 building codes.
|Petroleum Safety Training (PST)
|Standard First Aid, CPR C
|Company/Site Specific Orientations
|Radio Restricted Operator (Aeronautical)
|$1000 University scholarship through the cadet program
|Cadet Flying Scholarship - obtained private pilot license
|Regional Gliding Scholarship - obtained private glider license
|Radio Restricted Operator (Aeronautical)
|Best all around cadet award
|Top Overall Cadet Achiever Award
|Technical Training Scholarship Course